Sunday, August 18, 2013

Back At It

"Not So Lucky" Number 7

It's been awhile, to say the least. I thought this blog had died, but inspiration came in the form of an audiobook that Lindsay kindly endured during a trip to Long Island this weekend. You see, for the third time in as many years, my career has taken another step forward. I'm starting a new job tomorrow, where I will dive deeper into web-based marketing. And, as this audiobook told me 4,372 times over its five-hour duration, every web marketing specialist best have a blog.

Lucky for me I already had one.... and a Twitter account, and a Facebook account, and a YouTube account and a Linked-In account, etc, etc, etc. I also just subscribed to my own blog, among others, on an RSS feed on Feedly Google Reader on my iPhone. You should do the same, as I will be providing you with intriguing weekly information about fishing, fishing reports, fishing products, the outdoors and anything else that comes up along the way.

What you've missed over the last month or two has been some pretty crappy musky fishing. After a heat wave in July pushed water temps above 80 degrees (the temperature when risk for delayed mortality upon releasing muskies drastically increases), cool August nights quickly brought the water back into the mid-70's. The fish, however, didn't seem to respond well. I caught a small 27-inch fish and was present for a few others, but overall the action was pretty slow. Still, I continued to beat my head against the wall for 9 to 15 hours at a clip hoping to put a big fish in the net.

But it never happened.

So, this weekend was a nice break from musky fishing. We headed out to the Hamptons to see Jon and Liz, and Jon had us fishing a local fluke tournament out of Hampton Bays. We proudly displayed our Number 7 as we checked-in on the way out of Shinnecock Bay, but were only rewarded with shorts, skates, sand sharks and sea robins for our efforts. We did catch this bar jack pictured below, which a couple sharpies helped me identify via text messaging. It was an interesting catch and one I've never seen in New Jersey, or New York for that matter. The highlight of the day was on the beach early that morning, when I battled a huge stingray in the surf for over 10 minutes before my Windcheater popped free. I thought I had the striper of a lifetime until I saw the beast hunkering down in the wash.

It was great to get out on the salt again, though. I get so caught up with chasing muskies that it was nice to relax and bounce bait off the bottom. This was how I grew-up fishing with Dad on the Raritan Bay, and it felt good to get back to my roots.


  1. FYI, the walleye bite on the Delaware is heating up early this year.

  2. Awesome, good to know Joe. Thank you.