Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 192: The Bullheads Are Biting

Another small Echo Lake bullhead.
When: Sunday, November 20th, from 5:30pm to 6:30pm
Where: Echo Lake in Mountainside
What: Catfishin' with crawlers
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 59 degrees, SW wind at 8pm
Barometric Pressure: 30.15in and steady
Moon: Waning, a few days after the last quarter
Water Conditions: Looked a little stained

It was another busy Sunday between writing and running around. Luckily, I was able to get through the former rather quickly. Seeing as I had some success with the bullheads at Echo Lake last weekend, I decided to give it another shot to see if their larger cousins, the channel catfish, were willing to bite this week.

They were not, but at least I landed a few fish today, even if they were small.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not supposed to be in this park after dark, however, I'm willing to get at least one warning from the police before I stop doing it. Plus, there are no signs up and I see people running and driving through there at night, so I could always plead ignorance.

At least once.

And that is exactly what I thought I was going to have to do on Sunday night. After about 40 minutes of fishing, as I was trying to give a few extra minutes hoping a channel cat would find my nightcrawler, I saw a police car park over by my car. Since I was the only one there, I figured he was there for me, waiting until I returned to give me a warning or see if I was up to no good. I probably would have fished a few more minutes, but I decided to call it a night and face the music. As I pulled in my line for the last time, I realized my third bullhead of the evening had been on the line undetected.

To my delight though, as I approached my vehicle, another police cruiser drove by without stopping, and joined the other police officer. They were about 50 yards away, and I proceeded to put my belongings in my car very slowly should they decide they wanted to chat with me.

But they were obviously not there for me, and I put my fishing rod back in my car and headed home to fish another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment