Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 189: Cold Spell

A cell phone photo of Rahway River Park Pond.
When: Thursday, November 17th, from 5:15pm to 6:45pm
Where: Rahway River Park Pond
What: Drowing worms, then carp fishing
Weather: Overcast, 44 degrees, West wind at 10mph
Barometric Pressure: 29.85in and rising
Moon: Waning, a day or two before the last quarter
Water Conditions: Clear and cold

First off, I want to say thank you to Freshwatergirl for the publicity and welcome everyone from the Bass Barn. In case you were wondering, yes, I do have a job, I'm soon to be married and I do not have kids. Since I just passed the halfway point and seeing as I have some new readers, I guess it wouldn't hurt to restate the self-imposed rules of this adventure.

1)I must fish for a minimum of 30 minutes EVERY SINGLE DAY, no exceptions (illness, bad weather, Christmas).
2)I must fish a body of water everyday that I have not fished in the previous week. Any additional waters fished that day will not discredit me from fishing them in the same week.
3)I must take one photo, with or without a fish, every single day.
4)I must post a blog with the results of every outing.
5)I cannot lose my job.
6)I cannot lose my fiancee.
Anway, back to fishing.
By the time I finished work on Thursday, it was exactly 13 degrees colder than when I fished the day before. For the first time I really felt my toes chilling through my shoes and my work clothes were doing nothing to keep me warm. Oh the time they are a changin'. I've already started making preparations to overcome the colder weather by cleaing out the thousands of lures from the trunk of my car to accomodate my snow clothes, live bait storage and eventually, some ice fishing gear.
If I make it...
Before I had left for work on Thursday I had put the remaining nightcrawlers from last weekend in the cooler in my car. When I arrived at the pond, I strung a couple on a hook and fished them off the bottom with a split shot. I'm still amazed how it's even possible to throw a worm into a shallow pond without getting bit by at least a sunfish, but once again, no dice.
After only a few minutes, I saw some carp feeding and just so happened to have corn in my bag.
Well, why not?
I switched baits and waited until my 30 minutes were up, but without much confidence in catching a fish, I wasn't about to bear the cold and ignore what needed to be done at home.
So, no fish, again.
Fishing continues to be extremely difficult with the cold weather. I love catching fish on lures, but I think I'm going to stick it out with the live bait for awhile. I have a few better trips planned in the coming weeks, so hopefully I'll be able to turn the tide before I start ice fishing.
If not, it's still great getting in a little fishing everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment