Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day 157: Non-Stop

A small sunfish from the canal near my house.
When: Sunday, October 16th, from 4:30pm to 5pm
Where: The canal around the corner from my house
What: Fishing
Weather: Partly cloudy, 69 degrees, SW wind at 16mph, gusts to 25 mph
Barometric Pressure: 29.87 and steady
Moon: Waning, 4 days after full
Water Conditions: A little higher than normal and very clear

I was supposed to run a race this morning, but I had to bail at the last minute because I wasn't feeling all that well.

Nevertheless, I did NOT get the day off.

I had a lot to do today, which did not make the proposition of finding time to go fishing very appealing. Throw in the fact that I was under the weather and it seemed even tougher. It's now 8:30pm, and after I write this, I'm going to finally get a break for the first time since I woke up this morning. I will have written three blogs, two columns for The Fisherman and a submission for another bi-monthly publication. I did some accounting for a club I belong to, I fished for 30 minutes and did plenty of stuff around the house.

For anyone who thinks it's easy to find time to go fishing for even just 30 minutes every day and then write about it every day, you're wrong. Most days I am pretty much going non-stop and it can be very overwhelming at times. When life throws me even the slightest curve ball, it can really seem like there will just not be enough time in the day.

When I woke up this morning, I was feeling overwhelmed.

But, with a cup of coffee, some inspiration from Lindsay and a concrete plan, I began chipping away at the laundry list of things I needed to do and the list started to get smaller. After going on a phone calling and writing tear for over 4 straight hours, I was amazed at how much of the reports I had gotten by the time 4pm rolled around.

It was time to go fishing.

Since driving 15 minutes from my house and then15 minutes back home would mean using 30 minutes that I probably needed to do something else, the canal around the corner seemed like a really great idea. I also didn't feel like changing out of my sweat pants and tattered tie-dye, so slipping on some flip-flops and walking to the corner worked out very well.

I used a small #8 hook and some really good whole grain bread and had a steady pick of sunfish, killifish and banded killifish. I also met a nice guy (forgot his name) and we talked about fishing almost the whole time. He was actually driving by and saw me catch a fish and had to come back to look. Another man who was walking by shouted "there ain't no fish in there," but I urged him to come see for himself.

Hence, I converted two non-believers.

It's always pretty neat seeing the looks on people's faces when I pull a fish from that little ditch.

Anyway, time to get back to what I need to do most.


No comments:

Post a Comment