Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day 99: Deja Frickin' Vu

View of a stormy Monksville Reservoir from underneath the Greenwood Lake Turnpike bridge.
When: Friday, August 19th, from 6pm to 9pm
Where: Monksville Reservoir
What: Musky Fishing
Weather: SEVERE thunderstorms
Moon: Waning. Almost a week after full
Water Conditions: Slightly stained

Time may be on my side, but over the last couple of days, the weather has not.

A day without catching a fish can be mildly disappointing at times, but not even getting the chance to fish can be even more frustrating. For the second day in row, Mother Nature cut my fishing short. In the last two days I've driven a total of 5 hours for probably 2 hours of fishing, each time having to drive home at night in bad weather. It's been disappointing and exhausting.

Joe and I got to Monksville Reservoir with high hopes. We launched the S.S. Soap Dish and were looking forward to the opportunity to catch a musky. After 40 minutes, however, we saw storms rolling-in. At first it looked like they were going to miss us and we took shelter under a bridge, but it soon became apparent that we were going to get hit. We made a bee-line for the launch, grabbed our gear and hopped in Joe's truck. After nearly a 2-hour rain delay, we got back on the water.

But not for long.
Our window of opportunity was shorter than we had hoped. After only 20 minutes or so, we took note of the "too close for comfort" lightning. Since we were fairly certain this was the tail end of the storm, we decided to try and wait it out under the bridge again. This time, we noticed the hoards to huge spiders coming down from their webs for dinner. This made our time taking shelter even more uncomfortable, and seeing as the storm didn't appear to be going anywhere, we called it quits.

This has been a disappointing couple of days. Over the last couple of years, I've done a lot of reading about catching brown sharks from the beach and I have invested in the proper tackle. I don't get many opportunities to hit the beach and yesterday was only my third or fourth time fishing for them. It was a let-down to not get to fish for very long. Also, I've gotten really excited about musky fishing and was looking forward to my trip with Joe all week. I had been checking-out lures, reading online and hoing my tackle. To not get a fair shot at catching one was an affirmative bummer.

However, tomorrow is another day. Another day that I will get to go fishing, even if it's not anywhere that has brown sharks or muskellunge. Fall is coming fast and with it the absolute best fishing of the year.

Time to move on from yesterday's disappointment to tomorrow's opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment